Sunday 17 April 2011

Video Editing Process 2

As I discussed in the previous Video Editing Post I was unable to export anything other than a stereo audio file from Final Cut Express. This would potentially have been very problematic if a suitable solution could not be sought as I needed to get the 4 channels of B-Format Audio and the 6 channels of 5.1 audio out of the application. One solution to this would have been to use Final Cut Pro to deal with the editing tasks but the only access I have to this software is at my place of work. This didn't suit my work-flow and getting access to the work station for periods long enough to complete the tasks would be too difficult. Instead I approached the problem by looking at the process differently...

Rather than getting the audio ready first, for example in Logic before bringing it alongside the video in Final Cut, I would edit the video first then deal with the audio afterwards.

To achieve this a note was made of all the edit in and out points in Final Cut e.g. In: 00:01:05:07 - Out 00:04:00:00 and so on. The video and multi-channel audio streams were imported back into Logic 9 where each of these edits were applied.



Short cross fades were applied to each of the edit points before the streams were exported from Logic in a manner that could be used to create the DVD. This required exporting the files as non-interleaved surround files. This gave the files an appropriate recognisable extension for example .L .R .C .Ls .Rs .Lfe

The video and audio editing/exporting tasks were now complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment